Friday, July 11, 2008

my personal heart attack

It's no secret that Brooklyn isn't a fan of sleeping. She quit taking naps soon after we moved to Des Moines. If I remember correctly it was before her 2nd birthday. She is usually willing enough to go to bed, but generally reads for hours on end once there. It's a common occurance to find her still awake when I go in to tuck them in when I go to bed. It annoys the crap out of me that she just won't go to sleep, but as she stays in bed (for the most part) I just don't know what to do about it. What does this have to do with a heart attck, you ask? Well, last night was no exception. We put the kids to bed, and within a half hour, guess who was upstairs asking for one thing or another? Yep, Brooklyn. I sent her back to bed and warned her that if she got up again I would spank her bottom (yes, I spank from time to time. Please don't report me to child services :) ). She listened due to the warning and didn't come upstairs again. However, around 10:30 my Mother-in-law and I heard doors opening and closing downstairs (where we are staying at the moment). I went down to investigate, fully prepared to get Brooklyn in trouble (unless of course she was going potty, b/c who wants to clean that up?). I went into the kids' room to find Brooklyn's bed empty and all her blankets and pillows on the floor. I looked for her in the bathroom. She wasn't there. She wasn't in the office. She wasn't in my room. She wasn't in the "green" spare room. She wasn't in the other bathroom. She wasn't in my sis-in-law's room. She wasn't in the "pink" spare room. She wasn't in the garage. By now, I was totally freaking out and running all over the house. Logically she couldn't have left without us really knowing. We always hear the doors open and close and I knew the back door was locked. Nonetheless, I was FREAKING OUT! By this time, Jon was looking too. He found her in the other spare room in the basement where we have a few of our things. She was digging through the box from our medicine cabinet, holding a box of bandaids, and asking about tylenol. I was so upset, I couldn't even talk to her just then. I saw her sitting there on the floor and had to go in my room and close the door. Good thing Jon was here to chat with her. I'm not sure exactly what would have been said. I've never been so upset about something in my life. It took a good 1/2 hour for me to settle down enough to sleep. Tonight, we may go to bed without books and see if that forces her to go to sleep a little quicker and save me some anguish. OIY!

11 comments:

Debbi said...

yeah, would have freaked - at least Jon was there to talk to her. I would have been by myself and crying or something by that point!

{Erica} said...

i would've freaked out worried to death until i found her and then freaked out...mad to death :). Kudos to you for leaving because I don't know what I would've done.

Have you tried the night time pass like debbi did? My kids have the opposite problem and we have to tell them it's okay to get out of bed or make noise so we know they're up so I have no advice for you here but I will be intrested to find out if anything works for future references so keep us posted!

The Perry Family said...

oh my!! I would have been freaking out too!! Lauren and Jackson do this every single night. I will turn their tv's off and they will have been in bed for over an hour and still playing. More Lauren than Jackson. She likes to play with her barbie's by her night light and so forth. Now it is even worse b/c they are having to sleep together until we get our house built. They talk and they fight and they hit, kick, pinch, you name it! Isn't it fun being a parent during these times? haha

Sarah said...

How terrible. Number #1 because of the fear while not finding her. Number #2 because you have a toddler who thinks it is fun to leave the bed AND room at night. Ugh. Good luck getting night-time figured out.

Laken said...

Oh my goodness! I bet you were totally on edge! I know I would have been! Thank the good Lord she is okay and that you survived!!

Theurer Clan said...

I hate that feeling. I lost Tana for like 5 seconds at the gym and I think it took 20 minutes for my heart to stop pounding. Kids! Love 'em, but they really are going to give us a heart attack!:)

Sarah C said...

That is a really scary feeling. I would have felt the same way you did. Thank goodness for our husbands who help us out when we need it. I am glad she was ok.

suds2004 said...

That Brooklyn, good thing she is so cute.

Becky T said...

OH MY! I would have about died. You handled it way better than I would have. Oy! Talk about one extreme to the next--from feeling freaked out not knowing where she was to feeling madder than ever... Good luck! I'm glad all turned out ok.

Anonymous said...

Ya that doesn't sound like much fun! Hopefully that was the last time for that! By the way how many spare bedrooms are there? I am glad that you found her safe and it turned out ok! That would be so scary!

Crystal said...

I probably would have freak out too. Silly little girl