Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Why I'm an Idiot

I was VERY upset last night when I posted a comment on my Facebook. It read, "I am a freaking idiot". I still stand by that statement, and I've calmed down enough to be able to explain the situation. When I wrote that, I fully intended to never explain. However, now that I've cooled down, I feel that I can do it some justice. After joining some friends for dinner a few weeks ago, I've had Raspberry Cream pie on the brain. My friend had one and it was delicious. Plus, I love berry anything. So, I searched the internet and found a recipe. I knew it wasn't the same recipe, but it looked delish and I thought it was high time to give it a go.

Unfortunately, I CANNOT read, apparently. While perusing the recipe and carefully following the instructions, I ever-so-skillfully added 3 Tbsp of corn syrup instead of the called-for cornstarch. Needless to say, the pie NEVER set up (even this morning when I could've had a nice drink of it for breakfast). So, I dumped it and vowed to leave such recipes to others. I. Was. So. Mad!! I wish I could explain how I was so upset. I'd made a crust from scratch and blind baked it successfully. Success 1...check. I'd followed all the directions of the pie and it looked ok. Success 2... check. I thought. Then again...Nope. I was also VERY upset because this has happened to me once before (click here if you're interested). Besides the fact that every so often when I make oreos, I accidentally use vegetable oil instead of shortening. (I fixed that recipe card so I can stop doing that, finally). Needless to say. I was frustrated.

However, the more I thought about it this afternoon, the more I just couldn't let it go. I just couldn't let that dang recipe get the better of me. So, I tried again and this time, I went to school with Brooklyn and finally learned to read (ok, not really, but I was that mad). And, here's the result:

MUCH better than last night's. It even looked better and before I was done putting it together, I could tell I'd done something right. Oiy. Luckily, it turned out to be pretty tasty. I'd have been really upset if it turned out to be a dud of a recipe. Just in case you are interested, here's the recipe (from cooks.com):

Raspberry Cream Pie

1 baked pie shell
4 c. raspberries, divided
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened (I actually doubled this and used 6 oz so it would cover the bottom of the pie plate)
1 tbsp. milk (doubled this, too)
Whipped cream (opt.)
Prepare, bake and cool pie crust. Place 1 cup berries and 2/3 cup water in a small saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes.

Combine sugar, cornstarch and 1/3 cup water in saucepan. Stir in raspberry liquid, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice; cool. Combine cream cheese and milk. Spread evenly on bottom of pie shell. Pour remaining 3 cups of raspberries over cream cheese. Spread raspberry glaze over berries. Refrigerate several hours until firm. Garnish with whipped cream.

This is a fragile pie best made in the morning and served in afternoon. 8" pie makes 6 thick slices.


So, I hope the lesson is learned. I still maintain that I am not the brightest crayon in the box, but at least I triumphed over THIS recipe.

7 comments:

Beth said...

Ha too funny! I will do that sometimes where I will miss something I am reading because I already think I know.
I am glad you tried again.

Debbi said...

Oh Anne-Marie! I was so set up for such a big story, but it was pie, and I bet the drink was tasty too! :) The one you made looks great - this post makes me miss you:) love you!

The Gardner's said...

You make me smile :)
Luv Ya!

Dana said...

I remember making brownies and mixing up the salt and sugar... I was much younger. My dad ate some and my dog got a hold of one and you could hear her drinking bowl after bowl of water... It happens to all of us and I am glad that you went back and tried it again!!!!

Courtney said...

We've all misread a recipe! But I'm sure the second time around it was awesome...it looks that way anyway!

Hope you guys are doing well.

Andrea said...

Nothing better than a self-depreciating blog! Glad you triumphed, and it sure looks yummy!

Sarah Hastings said...

SO this made me laugh, but only because I have done this a dozen times!! I don't know why but I do the DUMBEST stuff when cooking, I completely loose all power to reason. Don't worry you are not alone, and the pie looks like it did finally turn out awesome!!